The Benefits of Serverless Computing
Serverless computing is being enthusiastically adopted by fast-moving startups and multinational enterprises alike, in the belief that it will allow them to increase their agility while lowering operational overhead. Here are some of the advantages:
- Reduced cost. The expense of provisioning servers and maintaining a 24/7 operations team can be prohibitive. For most businesses, the cost of purchasing memory and runtime from a cloud provider is lower than maintaining an in-house server and IT team.
- Access to different environments. Setting up various environments on a local server (e.g. dev, staging and production,) can be complex and costly to manage. On the other hand, serverless computing allows you to set up different environments without much extra effort.
- Scalability. You can scale up your computing capabilities with serverless computing automatically and seamlessly whenever necessary without having to wait for new servers to be installed and set up.
- Flexibility and adaptability. Without having to maintain any legacy system, you can quickly adopt new technologies to meet your business needs and customer expectations without a large upfront investment in infrastructure.
- Business agility. The flexibility offered by serverless computing allows you to foster an environment that facilitates instant decisions and continuous improvements so you can respond to changes nimbly to achieve your business objectives.
- Continuous deployment. Code changes in a serverless computing environment are automatically implemented through continuous deployment. You can quickly respond to changes in business requirements without having to deal with the hassle of infrastructure, scaling, and provisioning.
- Security. Most cloud providers offer enterprise-grade secure environments and server-level isolation to separate different users. In addition, the various levels of server authorization provide access control to help enhance data security.